PRAYING FOR RELATIONS
by Joseph Hart
Kind souls who for the miseries moan
Of those who seldom mind their own,
But treat your zeal with cold disdain,
Resolved to make your labours vain;
You, whose sincere affection tends
To help your dear ungrateful friends,
That think you foes, or mad, or fools,
Because you fain would save their souls;
Though deaf to every warning given,
They scorn to walk with you to heaven,
But often think and sometimes say
They’ll never go if that’s the way;
Though they the Spirit of God resist,
Or ridicule your faith in Christ;
Though they blaspheme, oppose, contemn,
And hate you for your love to them;
One secret way is left you still
To do them good against their will;
Here they can no obstruction give;
You may do this without their leave:
Fly to the throne of grace by prayer
And pour out all your wishes there:
Effectual fervent prayer prevails
Where every other method fails.
I have been benefited by praying for others; for by making an errand to God for them I have gotten something for myself.
A saint is to put forth his faith in prayer, and afterwards follow his prayer with faith.
The text can easily be transferred to your own word processor in the following way:
- Place your mouse pointer at the top left of the first line of text that you wish to copy.
- Press and hold down the left mouse button.
- While the left mouse button is held down drag the mouse pointer to the right hand end of the last line of text in the block you wish to copy.
- Release the left mouse button. The portion of text should now be highlighted.
- Press and hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard then tap the C key. (This will copy the text to the computers Â“clipboardÂ”)
- Open your word processor. Place the cursor where you want the text to appear.
- Press and hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard then tap the V key. The text should then appear in your document.
Recent extracts have been published by permission and separate permission to use this material for publishing purposes should be sought.