TWENTY-FIVE PROPHECIES FULFILLED IN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS
Written by Jewish prophets some 1,000 to 500 years before they occurred, here are twenty-five specific prophecies concerning the sufferings of the Messiah, all of which were fulfilled in Jesus of Nazareth during the twenty-four hours leading up to His crucifixion.
1. He was to be sold for thirty pieces of silver.
Prophecy: Zechariah 11.12. Fulfilment: Matthew 26.14, 15.
2. He was to be betrayed by a friend.
Prophecy: Psalm 55.12-14; 41.9. Fulfilment: Matthew 26.47-50; John 13.18.
3. The money obtained was to be cast to the potter: (a) silver, (b) 30 pieces, (c) thrown down, (d) in the house of the Lord, (e) used to purchase field.
Prophecy: Zechariah 11.13. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.3-10.
4. His disciples were to forsake Him.
Prophecy: Zechariah 13.7. Fulfilment: Matthew 26.56;
5. He was to be accused by false witnesses.
Prophecy: Psalm 35.11; 109.2. Fulfilment: Matthew 26.59, 60
6. He was to be smitten and spat upon: (a) smitten, (b) on the face (c) spit upon, (d) upon the face.
Prophecy: Isaiah 50.4-6. Fulfilment: Luke 22.64; Matthew 26. 67, 68
7. He was to be dumb before His accusers.
Prophecy: Isaiah 53.7. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.12-14; 1 Peter 2.23.
8. He was to be wounded and bruised.
Prophecy: Isaiah 53.5. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.26, 29.
9. He was to fall under the cross.
Prophecy: Psalm 109.24. Fulfilment: John 19.17; Luke 23.26
10. His hands and feet were to be pierced.
Prophecy: Psalm 22.16. Fulfilment: Luke 23.33; John 20.25-27.
11. He was to be crucified with thieves.
Prophecy: Isaiah 53.12. Fulfilment: Mark 15.27, 28.
12. He was to pray for His persecutors.
Prophecy: Isaiah 53.12; Psalm 109.4. Fulfilment: Luke 23.34.
13. The people were to shake their heads.
Prophecy: Psalm 109.25,22.7. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.39.
14. The people were to ridicule Him.
Prophecy: Psalm 22.8. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.41, 43.
15. The people were to be astonished.
Prophecy: Psalm 22.17; Isaiah 52.14, Fulfilment: Luke 23.35.
16. His garments were to be parted and lots cast for them. Prophecy: Psalm 22.18.
Fulfilment: John 19.23, 24.
17. He was to cry: ‘My God My God, why hast thou forsaken me?’ Prophecy: Psalm 22.1.
Fulfilment. Matthew 27.46.
18. They were to give Him gall and vinegar.
Prophecy: Psalm 69,21. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.34; John 19.28,29.
19. He was to commit Himself to God.
Prophecy: Psalm 31.5. Fulfilment: Luke 23.46.
20. His friends were to stand afar off.
Prophecy: Psalm 38.11. Fulfilment: Luke 23.49.
21. His bones were not to be broken.
Prophecy: Psalm 34.20; Exodus 12.46. Yet they were to be ‘out of joint’ (Crucifixion pangs). ‘I may tell all my bones.’ Psalm 22.14, 17. Fulfilment: John 19.31-36.
22. His side was to be pierced.
Prophecy: Zechariah 12.10. Fulfilment: John 19.34-37.
23. His heart was to be broken.
Prophecy: Psalm 22.14. Fulfilment: John 19.34
24. Darkness was to cover the land.
Prophecy: Amos 8.9. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.45.
25. He was to be buried in a rich man’s tomb.
Prophecy: Isaiah 53.9. Fulfilment: Matthew 27.57-60.
These events were all fulfilled in detail in twenty-four hours in the experience of Jesus of Nazareth. According to the law of compound probabilities, the chance that they all happened together by accident is one in 33,000,000. The conclusion is inevitable that the
Bible is what it claims to be, the Word of the Living God, and that Jesus Christ is the true Messiah.