THE OCEAN OF LOVE
My heart was like a stony rock, far from the pleasant shore,
Surrounded by an ocean great, that flows for evermore;
That ocean is God’s boundless love, its height and depth and length
Beyond the far horizon’s brim it flows in all its strength.
My heart was like a stony rock, unfeeling, cold and dry,
I read God’s Word and tried to pray beneath a barren sky;
And then the tide began to rise, a gentle flowing swell,
Which lapped around my stony heart and whispered, All is well
My heart was like a silent rock, humbled before my God,
To own Him just, and wise, and good, beneath His chastening rod
Then steadily the tide flowed in, higher and higher rose,
The ocean of the Saviour’s love, who died to save His foes.
Great ocean of the Father’s love, who saw man’s greatest need,
And planned to send His Son to die, Yes this was love indeed:
That He should set His love upon sinners like you and me,
And show us that we were, in Christ, loved from eternity.
The love of Christ, so great, so deep, beyond the realms of thought,
Yet can be known by young and old who’re by God’s Spirit taught,
The love that brought the Saviour down to die on Calvary’s tree,
The love that flows an endless tide, for sinners such as we.
The rock I saw far from the shore could not prevent the tide
From rising higher, higher still, its ugly shape to hide;
As when the tide was full and still, and of the rock no sign,
So may my ugly self be lost in that great love divine.
The text can easily be transferred to your own word processor in the following way:
- Place your mouse pointer at the top left of the first line of text that you wish to copy.
- Press and hold down the left mouse button.
- While the left mouse button is held down drag the mouse pointer to the right hand end of the last line of text in the block you wish to copy.
- Release the left mouse button. The portion of text should now be highlighted.
- Press and hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard then tap the C key. (This will copy the text to the computers Â“clipboardÂ”)
- Open your word processor. Place the cursor where you want the text to appear.
- Press and hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard then tap the V key. The text should then appear in your document.
Recent extracts have been published by permission and separate permission to use this material for publishing purposes should be sought.