SIGNS OF GODLINESS
1. A true knowledge of the glory and excellency of God, that He is most worthy to be loved and praised for His own divine perfections (Ps 145.8).
2. God is his portion (Ps 73.25). God’s glory is his great concern [Mt 6.22).
3. Holiness is his delight. There is nothing he longs for as to be holy as God is holy (Phil 3.9-12).
4. Sin is his greatest enemy. This he hates for its own nature, for what it is in itself, being contrary to a holy God. Consequently he hates all sin (Rom 7.24; 1 John 3.9).
5. The laws of God alone are his delight (Ps 119.27; Rom 7.22). These he observes, not out of constraint, from a servile fear of hell;
but they are his choice (Ps 119.30). The strict observance of them is not his bondage, but his greatest liberty (Ps 119.45).