WORSHIP ON EARTH
AND THE WORSHIP OF HEAVEN
Worship on Earth
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
The relevance of the subject today. We are few, weak, and sinful yet God approves of our poor attempts to worship Him when the vast majority of those around us have no thought of any such thing.
1. The Father, amazingly, seeks this worship from us.
2. It is the worship of God who is a Spirit.
3. It is essentially spiritual worship, not outward show, but from the heart.
4. It is the worship of the true God with true expressions about Him.
5. It is the worship of the Trinity.
6. It is through the Mediator, 1 Timothy 2.5.
7. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
8. It is the expression of praise, adoration, and gratitude.
9. It can be in praying, meditation, silent prayer.
10. It can be in public and collective meetings, according to Biblical precept. Singing, praying, preaching, testimony.
11. It is the spirit of so many of the Psalms.
Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
0 come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
Exalt ye the LORD our God, and worship at his footstool; for he is holy.
The Worship of Heaven
And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was strain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
Consider the pattern of heavenly worship through the whole book of the Revelation.
1. Those who are nearest the throne begin their worship by ascribing holiness to the Triune God.
And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
2. They speak of His might and His eternity.
And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne-.
3. They worship Him as Creator.
Thou art worthy, 0 Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
1. The whole of the heavenly beings, especially the redeemed multitude, worship the slain Lamb,
Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
2. The worship of earth blends with the worship of heaven, Revelation 5.13
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
1. All the redeemed attribute their salvation to the Lord God. Revelation 7.9-12.
1. All the marked saints worship Him for His works and His ways. Revelation 15.3
And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
2. They express their fear of the Lord.
3. They speak of world-wide worship in heaven.
4. They worship Him as the great and final Judge.
Who shall not fear thee, 0 Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.