ADVICE TO PREACHERS
1.Understand your text.
2. Confirm your view by private reference to the original language.
3. Strengthen your opinion by once more reading the whole context.
4. Avoid a display of learning. Criticize in the study; teach in the pulpit.
5. Divide your subject – it helps the hearers.
6. Speak in short sentences – it helps the preacher.
7. Use plain words – they are good for all sorts and conditions of men.
8. Avoid parentheses – they trouble the speaker and puzzle the hearer.
9. Speak in the first person singular – it gives reality.
10. Avoid the first person plural. Monarchs speak thus, preachers should not.
11. Apply pointedly. All within the church or chapel walls are not of the Church of Christ.
12. Rebuke boldly.
13. Warn lovingly.
14. Encourage heartily.
15. Preach frequently with your tongue.
16. Preach always by your life.
17. Honour the Holy Spirit.
18. Remember your Master – seek His glory, not your own.