By John Norcott
Believers’ Baptism and Infants’ Baptism Compared
1. Believers’ Baptism is commanded by the Lord. Matt. 28.19,20.
– Infant Baptism has no such command.
2. Believers’ Baptism is according to Christ’s own example. Matt. 3.13,&c. – Infant Baptism can plead no such pattern.
3. Believers’ Baptism has many examples in Scripture. Acts 8.12;
2.37,41,42,&c. – Infant Baptism has no example in Scripture.
4. Believers’ Baptism is from Heaven. Matt. 21.25. – Infant Baptism is from men.
5. Believers’ Baptism has been gloriously sealed by God. Matt. 3.
– Infant Baptism has no record in Scripture that it was ever sealed by God.
6. In Believers’ Baptism, the person baptized exercises faith -but in Infant Baptism, the infant exercises no faith.
7. In Believers’ Baptism, the person immersed performs an act of obedience – But in Infant Baptism, the infant puts forth no act of obedience.
8. In Believers’ Baptism, the person knows when he is baptized -But Infants know nothing of their baptism.
9. Believers remember when they were baptized – Infants remember not their baptism.
10. Believers are buried with Christ by baptism. Rom. 6.4. -Infants are not buried, they are only sprinkled.
11. All believers baptized have remission of sins. Acts2.37.38.-infants baptized are not in a Covenant of Grace.
12. All Believers baptized have remission of sins. Acts 2.37,38. -But all infants baptized do not receive the remission of sins.
13. God has promised that all that believe and are baptized, shall be saved. Mark 16.16. – God has not promised that all infants that are baptized shall be saved.
14. Believers rejoice when they are baptized. Acts 8.39; 16.34. -Infants do not rejoice, but usually weep when they are sprinkled.
15. Believers’ Baptism has the plain Word of GOD. Matt. 28.19. -Infant Baptism is built on human inferences only.
16. All the world may undeniably affirm, that believers were baptized by the Apostle. 1 Cor. 1.14,16. – But none in all the world can truly affirm that any infant was baptized by any one of the Apostles.
17. All those who baptize infants, do confess that believers were baptized – But all baptized believers do deny that infants were baptized.
18. Believers baptized do lawfully partake of the Lord’s Supper -Infants baptized do not lawfully partake of the Lord’s Supper.
19. All believers baptized are living stones fit for God’s house. 1 Pet. 2.5. – But all infants baptized, are not living stones fit for God’s house.
20. Believers baptized build on Christ by their own faith – But such as baptize infants, build on another’s faith.
21. Such as are baptized on their own faith, shall never perish. John 10.28. – But such as are baptized on another’s faith may perish.
22. Believers baptized are converted, and shall never come into condemnation. John 5.24. -But infants baptized are not converted, and many come into condemnation.
23. Believers baptized are not the children of wrath. John 3.36. -But infants baptized, may yet be under wrath. John 3.36.
24. Believers baptized do know Christ to be precious. 1 Pet. 2.7. -But infants baptized do not know Christ to be precious.
25. Believers love Christ, and keep his commandments. John 14.15. – But infants baptized do not love Christ and keep his commandments.
26. Believers baptized worship God in spirit and truth, and such God seeks to worship him. John 4.23,24. – But infants do not know what to worship, and cannot render spiritual worship.
27. Believers’ Baptism must stand as long as God’s Word stands. Matt. 5.18.- Infant Baptism must fall, because it is not founded on the Word of God.
28. Believers baptized may repel Satan as Christ did, by saying, It is written, “they believed and were baptized”. – But you cannot repel Satan, by saying, “It is written, infants were baptized”; for it is not so written.