LOVEST THOU ME?
1) Hark, my soul! it is the Lord;
‘Tis thy Saviour, hear his word;
Jesus speaks, and speaks to thee:
“Say, poor sinner, lovest thou me?”
2) “I delivered thee when bound,
And when wounded healed thy wound;
Sought thee wandering, set thee right,
Turned thy darkness into light.
3) “Can a woman’s tender care
Cease towards the child she bare?
Yes, she may forgetful be,
Yet I will remember thee.
4) “Mine is an unchanging love,
Higher than the heights above;
Deeper than the depths beneath,
Free and faithful, strong as death.
5) “Thou shalt see my glory soon,
When the work of grace is done;
Partner of my throne shalt be;
Say, poor sinner, lovest thou me?”
6) Lord, it is my chief complaint,
That my love is cold and faint;
Yet I love thee and adore;
O for grace to love thee more!
J. Newton’s Olney Hymns 119