THE FEAR OF THE LORD
/. The fear of the Lord is essential to true Godliness, spirituality, holiness, moral purity, and genuine Christianity.
2. The fear of the Lord stimulates a Christian’s conscience.
3. The fear of the Lord is not natural and universal.
Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:
4. The fear of the Lord is always joined to the true knowledge of God.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
5. With the fear of the Lord there is the promise of life.
The fear of the Lord prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
The fear of the Lord tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
6. The fear of the Lord is sanctifying.
By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.
7. With the fear of the Lord is contentment.
Better is little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble therewith.
8. We need to live in the fear of the Lord all the day long.
Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long.